Avocado Toast with Soft Poached Egg
1 /2 avocado
Pinch Sea Salt Flakes
Pinch Aleppo Pepper Flakes
1 thick cut piece of bread
1 poached egg (recipe and techniques included below):
- Prep the avocado filling by scooping the flesh into a small bowl, squeeze lime over the tip and smash down gently with a fork until desired consistently/texture (I like mine chunky).
- Place the bread under the broiler until golden brown (don’t walk away from the oven). Remove and put on a plate. Now that all of your toppings are ready, this is when I poach my egg. While waiting for the water to boil, scoop the avocado onto the toast, and sprinkle with the sea salt flakes and Aleppo pepper. Follow the steps to poaching an egg below, then place the poached egg on top of the avocado toast. Sprinkle with more sea salt flakes and Aleppo pepper if desired.
How to Poach an egg:
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. While waiting for the water to boil, pour 1 teaspoon of distilled white vinegar into a ramekin and keep it close by. Crack the egg into a small fine mesh sieve over a bowl or sink. Swirl the egg in the sieve until all the excess liquid egg whites have been removed. Then gently place the egg in the prepared ramekin.
- Create a vortex using a slotted spoon then gently lower the egg to the middle of the vortex, turn off the heat and let the egg cook for 2 ½ to 3 minutes.
- Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and dab it on a paper towel to remove any excess water. Serve immediately.
*Alternatively, if making the poached eggs for meal prep or ahead of time, transfer the cooked poached eggs to an ice water bath and refrigerate for a couple of days. When ready to serve, add boiling water to a bowl, then add the cold poached egg and submerge for 20-30 seconds or until warmed through. Remove the poached egg with a slotted spoon, dab dry and serve immediately. (I like to undercook my eggs by 30 seconds if I know I am going to use them for a different day- that way I know that it won’t be overcooked when I reheat it).
Poaching egg times:
2 ½ minutes – runny soft yolks- some of the whites may still be a bit under
3 minutes – soft- yolks *this is what I do mine to
3 ½ minutes – soft-medium yolks
4 minutes – medium yolks
5 minutes – firmer yolks